If you study Phowa, then at the time when death is approaching, you will know no despair but will be full of cheerful confidence.”- Marpa The Translator
Right after Kalachakra, from January 14th till January 23th 2012, His Eminence Choeje Ayang Rinpoche, a holder both Nyingma and Drikung Phowa lineage, gave 18th annual Phowa teaching in Bodhgaya.Before the course Rinpoche was worried if students would get opportunity to attend the course at very “packed” time in Bodhgaya during Kalachalra so he recommended that everybody`book flights and hotels in advance. Fortunately everything went well: so many students joined the course that even the tent made especially for the Teaching couldn’t seat all people.
Ayang Rinpoche’s course shecdule was demanding as always. Sometimes course started at 7 am and finished at 9 pm. We were completely immersed in the course. “Take you tea and came back quickly” – that what we heard every day before short tea breaks. In spite of his cold Rinpoche with compassion and kindness gave us his gradual and detail teachings, talking both in English and Tibetan.
Despite the demanding schedule, or maybe because of it many people on the course had some very powerful experiences and a lot even achieved some Phowa “signs”. I personally felt very privileged to attend the course and am hoping to make it an annual event. Phowa is truly an amazing practice and Ayang Rinpoche is a true Phowa Master, therefore I would highly recommend this course to everybody both beginners and experienced Buddhist alike, just be prepared to be totally immersed in the 10 day course.
Intensive schedule of Phowa Course included:
- Teachings like Introductory teaching on Phowa, The Three Excellences, Vajrasattva practice techings, Detailed Nyingma and Drikung Phowa Teaching, Teaching on doing Phowa for others of death and for oneself at the moment of death
- Buddha Amitabha Empowerment
- Oral Transmission Blessing of both Nyingma and Drikung Phowa,
- Common Drikung and Nyingma Phowa Practice
- Pureland Long Aspiration Prayer under the Bodhi tree
- Jetsun Milarepa Guru Yoga and Buddha Amitabha Tsog Offering Prayers
PS. Remember that joining Ayang Rinpoche’s Phowa Course you take some commitments:
- to complete Preliminary Practice (Nhondro) in any tradition or to do short mantras of both Vajrasattva and Buddha Amitabha 150 000 times of each;
- to do Phowa practice for at least 2 weeks after the course and then twice a month (at full and new moon days).